9/22/09

Hooks, Rods, Reels and High Heels – Fishing is just not a guy’s thing anymore

Hey ladies, you do not need to be a “tom boy” to like to fish. I am certainy not your typical fishing person and I am not shy to show it either. I am a “girly girl” at heart who loves the sport of fishing. I am who I am and like what I like.

Last week, I over heard some locals mentioning that the Salmon were running.  The Salmon are running…I thought to myself, boy, I would surely love the experience of catching such a large fish.  So, I decided to take action and plan a fishing trip on the Muskegon River with local fisherman, Jim Churchill, of Riverside Outfitters LLC.

When my scheduled fishing day finally arrived, I was so excited that I could hardly stand it, like a kid in a toy store.  I headed off to meet my hired fishing guide, Jim, at the designated launch.  Once I arrived, I got out of my vehicle and proceeded to walk towards him.  Jim stopped and looked at me in surprise and asked me if I was planning on fishing in high heels.  I laughed and said "you betcha, these are my lucky shoes".  He said that he had thought he had seen it all until that day.  So, he invited me to step on board his riverboat.  Jim started the motor and away we went down the river in search for Salmon.  We traveled for a while, and then proceeded to slow down and stop and anchor.  Anxious to fish, Jim then outfitted me with all the proper gear and explained exactly what I needed to do to catch a Salmon. 

 So I cast, one time, two times, three times and then four times and WHAM…!  I suddenly realized that I just hooked a fish!  Jim was instructing me every step of the way, pole up, pole down, reel in, let the drag out etc… it was so exciting that my heart was racing from the thrill and the challenge of getting that enormous fish into the boat without losing it…the 30lb power pro test line was held up great…Finally after 10-15 minutes, the Salmon tired out and we netted it and got it into the boat.  We were both truly amazed at the size of the fish. Not just any fish, but a huge 18lb male Salmon.  I told him it was attributed to my lucky high heel shoes and my natural casting ability and he chuckled and said, "you amaze me…it very well could be".

 Jim then gave me my 18lb prize fish and showed me out to handle it properly.  I struck a pose and held the fish while he took my picture.  Boy, it was quite a day and an experience that I will never forget, like a first kiss.  I can't wait to go out and fish again.

 I then realized that sometimes you just have to take action and create your own experiences in life or it will pass you by before you know it. 

 Taking “time out” by fishing can be a great way to offset some of the many challenges and stresses that we women all seem to be faced with today. Sometimes just being some where away from the fast pace of life - even if just for a few hours - can provide a new perspective and a fresh outlook.

Fishing as a hobby is continuously growing with women and that is why the estimated number of women who acquire fishing licenses each year is more than 12 million

So ladies, I encourage you to support our local fishing guides and take "time out" for yourselves, get out the pole, put on your lucky high heels, step onto the boat to see what you can do. Most of all have fun and good luck!

For more information on Western Michigan fishing guides log onto www.HessLakeRentals.com

Sherri Russell is owner of Hess Lake Rentals and avid outdoors women.

0 comments:

Post a Comment